Monday 21 May 2012

ISU Reflection

I was really intrigued by Becky's presentation on Invisible Children and the Kony 2012 campaign.  Although the campaign in question was extremely controversial, the presentation was well balanced between opinions.
I was able to 'step back' and see the bigger picture, see what was really at risk.  Living in Canada, I admittedly often forget how good I have it.  Of course, school is stressful, and I'm allowed to get upset over things... But I am truly fortunate to even be able to go to school.  I'm fortunate that my only exposure to violence has been in a movie theatre, and I'm fortunate that everything I know about sex trafficking came from research, not experience.
Learning about the children in these countries, and the horrible crimes committed by Kony, we are reminded that there is a serious issue and, no matter what the means, something should be done.  Although I disagree strongly with the Kony 2012 campaign, and do not think Western countries should force their help onto Africa, the presentation made me realise that there was more to the issue than trendy videos and campaign tactics.

No comments:

Post a Comment