Monday 24 October 2011

AIC Simulation - Early Thoughts

I have found the AIC simulation very interesting, albeit quite stressful.  There are so many small decisions one must make daily, and I couldn't imagine having this responsibility in real life.  This simulation has definitely been humbling and has also given me a greater appreciation for political leaders.  Even if they make poor decisions and may be corrupt, they are still making very important decisions while trying to please their people.

I have been representing Israel, and the other 'players' who frequently communicate with me are the United States and France.  The U.S. has been a great support, so far, and has expressed interest in a missile defence system (Obama and I are currently negotiating this).  France, on the other hand, wants Israel to surrender, in a sense, and allow Syria to gain access to Golan Heights.  Although (our interpretation of) Israel wishes to invest monetarily in Syria, as a sign of cooperation and future peace, the country is not willing to sacrifice this land at the moment.

Throughout this simulation, I have learned how much Israel is investing in their Western image.  This has apparently worked out well, since Benjamin Netanyahu is very popular in North American and the United States is still a great support of the country.

Speaking of Netanyahu, he is my 'character' for the simulation.  In real life, he is an excellent communicator and therefore has made many allies.  However, he is also known to be quite corrupt.  It will be interesting to see how these traits influence other nations communications with 'me' over the course of the simulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment