Tuesday 13 September 2011

Brigitte's Summer

My summer... was actually quite uneventful.

There was so much I wanted to do, it's a real shame I didn't follow through.

Let's see... I wanted to write a screenplay.  The problem was, every day I wanted to right a different story!  One day would be a minimalist drama (think Sofia Coppola), the next a post-apocalyptic epic, the next a quirky comedy.  Obviously, this made actually sitting down to write one quite difficult.

Apparently... I'm supposed to relate all these events back to world issues.  Let's see: Film is an extremely influential medium with a well established position in society.  The films we see define who we are, and also send a message to filmmakers about what we want to see more of.  Audiences can learn so much by watching provocative political dramas, historical accounts, and documentaries.  Or... we can watch Transformers (bad idea, Michael Bay shouldn't be allowed to direct).

I wanted to work out and practice dance all summer.  Nope.  Didn't happen.  At all (blame the TV).

The world issues relation?  Dance is a great way to be cultured, as the genre, or style, of dance varies greatly within cultures.  Dance is also a beautiful way to tell stories and express emotions.  And, of course, dance often goes hand-in-hand with music.  The kind of music one listens to says a great deal about their beliefs, interests, and culture.

Instead my summer ended up revolving around Harry Potter.  I got early access to Pottermore (I'm MoonWolfsbane106), saw Deathly Hallows Part 2 at the midnight premiere (dressed as a Gryffindor student, naturally), went to the Wizarding World and Universal Studios Orlando, and went to a sci-fi/fantasy/comic/horror (the list goes on and on) convention, once again in costume, to meet Tom Felton.

The most obvious world issues connection here, I believe, is my trip to Orlando, Florida.  This not only demonstrated the tourism in the state, but I was also able to see the security measures taken at the borders.  I also spent a great deal of money, so I suppose this could be related to the economy.


I believe my Pottermore efforts demonstrate what a global village we have become; I have been able to interact and chat with fans from all over the world.


Finally, Harry Potter is British.  I wish I was...


Did I do anything 'productive' over the summer?  I worked at my dance studio, teaching dance and drama to campers aged 5-12.  It was stressful at times, but I enjoyed myself.

Once again, dance is a cultural phenomenon, and I was proud to teach the art to others.  I also believe that I was able to add productivity and meaning to their days, as opposed to the older ones running around on the street (engaging in some less-than-appropriate activities).


Seeing as class is done, and that is about the extent of my summer activities, I shall bid you all fare well.

Have a great day, lovelies.

-Brigitte

2 comments:

  1. Also with movies a lot of dollars are put into other countries where the film could have been shot. It also helps bridge a cultural gap, for example, in the middle east where American films are dubbed over so people from there can watch it.

    Same with dance, it is a common form of expression among all humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the itallicized references back to world issues and your general sense of humour. It was very well received.

    Have you seen any documentaries that have moved you about current events? Let me know. I love showing films and short videos in the classroom as a way to make these issues come alive.

    ReplyDelete