Monday 24 October 2011

Thoughts on Globalization

I have been very interested in the continuing globalisation of the world.  The concept and its consequences present great opportunity for many around the world.  However, the idea has always frightened me a bit.  It seems so easy for one to gain influence and power now.  Well, I suppose this is better than, say, pre-revolutionary France (unless you were nobility, at least).  I'm not even sure what it is that frightens me.  I think it's more the rate at which everything is changing.  Even though I grew up in the 90's and 2000's, a time where communication and technology was rapidly changing, I have never been able to cope well with great change.  Perhaps I'm afraid technology will become more powerful than human knowledge, or that traditional forms of communication will become even more obsolete.  Whatever the reason, I think we can agree that globalisation is both exciting and intimidating.

Now, let's look at the bright side...

I understand that aspects of globalisation, such as outsourcing, can be compared to colonisation: an attempt to take another culture and introduce Western culture and sensibilities.  However, 'colonisation' has somewhat of a negative implication nowadays (I've even heard it compared to brainwashing), even though it is what influenced our modern way of life.  I believe that the 'colonisation' caused by globalisation is largely positive.  Other countries, and even individuals, can make their presence known and communicate with the 'rest of the world' (read: the United States).  This will bring great change to the economy, as individuals and corporations from other regions, therefore possessing different perspectives, can bring great innovation and change.  The United States may no longer be seen as the most powerful country; globalisation and given so many other countries a chance and economical and political power.  I believe this is a great thing, giving opportunity to so many others.  Although many in developing countries don't have the means to such communication (i.e. e-mail, internet), I believe it may still help decrease poverty.  I understand this may be a stretch, but I truly believe the economic 'playing field' will be flattened, therefore giving so much opportunity to those who's potential may have otherwise gone unrealised, and forced to lead a life of poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment