Friday 18 November 2011

RIP Ashlyn Connor ~ Society NEEDS to Change


Update:  I spelled her name wrong, it's Ashlynn, with two N's.  My apologies.

This was not a prompted blog post, however one I feel very passionate about.  I believe it says a lot about modern society, and shows that we must do something about bullying and discrimination in general.

I recently learned that a ten year old girl named Ashlyn Connor was bullied to the point of suicide.  I immediately wrote about it on my Facebook.  There are quite a few typos, since I was very emotional at the time, however I believe it captures the passion I feel towards this issue.

"RIP Ashlyn Connor
A ten year old girl shouldn't be bullied to suicide- I am disgusted right now. Everyone is unique and HUMAN and should try to respect one another and realize the weight of their actions.
I'm going to try and be kinder and more accepting from now on, and I suggest others do as well
Bullying is getting worse, and we need to (and can) change this pattern


"Every one has been talking about a documentary Finding Kind, and I intend to check it out and I suggest others do as well.

Also, look into the charities To Write Love On Her Arms and the Sophie Lancaster Foundation, the latter of which isextremely close to my heart. The story of Sophie Lancaster's murder made me cry when I first heard it a few years ago, and the circumstances under which is occurred disgusts me.

As a society we need to change our thinking pertaining to popularity and subcultures. Everyone is amazing. I love everyone, even of I don't like them, because they are all amazingly complex individuals. I don't always show it, but I truly believe it. Also, people should stop saying everyone is 'perfect the way they are'... This is wrong. We are all imperfect, but that is what gives us humanity and an identity. Without it we wouldn't need to develop relationships, we wouldn't experience passion (without which, I believe, we would be truly dead) and there would be little worth living for. It's our IMPERFECTIONS that make us LOVE one another.

I am do saddened to hear about this suicide; RIP, and may your story inspire society to change, even if our revolution begins with only a few individuals. God bless..."


That was all I've posted at the moment, however I've spoken about the Sophie Lancaster case and foundation before.

I can't think of any realistic way to shift society's views, since I'm still extremely devastated, however I know that I can start with myself.

I encourage everyone who reads this to tell their friends and family about it.

RIP Ashlyn, may you never be forgotten...

1 comment:

  1. Brigitte, WOW. Bullying and violence is a huge part in today's society. I am glad that you chose to do your blog post on this topic, as it is not something that people would think to write about. What I like about your blog post is that you used a specific example and were able to personally relate to it. I recently read about Ashlynn Conner in a newspaper article. I often think to myself, "What can be done to stop and abolish bullying?" Parents need to learn to listen to their children when they feel bullied or upset about what goes on at school. With this being said, suicidal rates have increased in the last year or so. It is very devastating and distressing to think about young girls and boys committing suicide because of bullying or violent behaviours. Keep up the great work Brigitte! :)

    ReplyDelete