Wednesday 30 November 2011

Opportunities

Today we were asked to blog about a time when we had the opportunity to help.  To make a difference.  To save someone.

Off the top of my head, I actually can't think of anything big or heroic, but I do try to make a difference in peoples' day to day lives.  Even if I'm just trying to cheer someone up, or letting them vent their problems, I think it makes a difference.  After all, life isn't necessarily about the big things that happen.  It's the little moments that shape who we are and influence what we do.  These little moments eventually lead to the big ones, however.

One conversation comes to mind: two summers ago, I was an LIT (Leader in Training) at 'my' summer camp.  There was one little girl, let's pretend her name is Anne, who was always protesting and disrespecting her counsellor's rules and ideas.  She complained about how must she wanted to go home, and had horrible, violent, tantrums.  One night the the leadership group below LIT held the annual 'Carnivale,' where campers go for junk food, activities, music, dancing, and (hilarious) skits by staff members.  Carnivale is always a lot of fun and is also mandatory.  However, 'Anne' decided she did not want to go.  At all.  Under any circumstances.  Being her LIT, I was supposed to go and supervise her while she waited back in the cabin.  She wasn't enjoying herself there, and I wanted to go to Carnivale, so I figured I may as well talk to her.  Besides, she was on the verge of being sent home, maybe I could help her change her mind.

I don't even remember what we talked about, but after some screaming and then a lot of crying, 'Anne' and I had a really great discussion.  I won't say what about, because that's not my story to tell, but after that we went on down to Carnivale.  With a fresh slate and new state-of-mind, 'Anne' was willing to talk to some of the other campers and take part in a lot of the activities.  After words she said 'thank-you,' and that she had a lot of fun.  The next morning she told me she was going to stay at camp after all.  For the remainder of her stay, she was noticeably happier and was much more cooperative.

Even though we just had an honest and kind conversation, I think 'Anne' realised that her opinions mattered and that people respected her more than she thought (that was a big part of her initial anger).  She enjoyed herself more and decided to stay at camp.  I'm just happy that I was able to improve her night, and then eventual stay at camp.  I don't know what ever happened to her, but I hope I was able to improve her summer over all, and maybe she'll remember that others respect her a lot more than she expects.

1 comment:

  1. I think making small impacts on a lot of people's lives is just as significant, if not more, than making a large impact on one. Brightening someone's mood, day, or even life is priceless and personally brings me much joy. :)
    Hearing your story of "Anne" reminded me of the times I was fortunate enough to be there for someone. Some of those memories are difficult but all are important, and the positive impact that act had on that someone is beneficial beyond words.
    I think as an LIT, you truly showed leadership skills. I know that wasn't your motive, but I think you'll be (or already are) an amazing counselor because not only did you hear Anne's story, you listened, and in that small act turned her time at camp into good memories and a much better experience. :)

    ReplyDelete